Sunday, June 17, 2012

Ceiling fans... Love/Hate Relationship.

This may be a completely small detail for some people, but to me... its very bothersome.  I have a love/hate relationship with ceiling fans.  
1.) They are needed.  I don't care what you say about how great your AC system is... at night when you have another human being laying next to you or on a hot summer day, you just need a ceiling fan.  

2.) Ceiling fans are the #1 product least spent on Research & Development with companies... (in my opinion).  They are all so ugly.  And when you find one that looks great, simple, it doesn't give the light output needed to fill a room properly with light.

3.  Ceiling fans are way to over-designed.  (I'm contradicting #2, oh well) I just don't understand why you have to put all these crazy lines and scrolls and craziness on it.  Its a functional item that most people don't even notice.  So just make it functional and simple. 
(I feel this way on many products.  I may share more later.)

This is my nightmare.  The ceiling showroom at Lights Fantastic.  


So, here I will break down my predicament.  


MonteCarlo Sleek 52" 

This is similar to the fan we had at our last house.  When we bought it I loved it.  Thought it looked so great and fit with the house perfectly.
PROBLEM:  The light only shines down.   There isn't any light that shines up to reflect off of our beautiful white ceilings to help with "ambient" light.  (The light that seems as if it comes from no direct source because it is shining off of the highly reflective color of white and then shining back down onto your space.)

hampton bay marris 44"
Typically, ceiling fans like this do well reflecting light.  But has you may have guessed, this doesn't fit our style.


Kichler Hendrik - 52"
This one would be perfect if it had some lights up in that metal piece at the top.  Nothing fancy.

CraftMade Midor 56"
This one actually is exactly what I'm taking about... light at bottom, light at top.  But why does the light at the top have to be so freaking big!?!?  Again, over-designed.



Kichler Olympia - 60"
Same as above, over-designed with the detail and the massive light shell up top.

MonteCarlo Apex 52"
This one is a more modern take on the typical fan with the individual globes.  But its just too fancy for me.


Structures - 52"
This one I think might actually help with the reflective issue.  Although it doesn't have any lights shining directly up... its globe at the bottom comes off the edge of the motor housing and might... might shine a good amount up to the ceiling.  But, look at those connector pieces for the blades!  Why?  I might have to call and ask about this one.  (It comes in different color blades)



MonteCarlo Solaire 52"
And then there is this one, very similar to the one above, same probability with the reflective globe... and its nice and simple and bronze/black.  I'm okay with this one.  But I will have to call about it and/or see it in person.

Happy Sunday and Father's Day!  Demo Day 2 is under way!

- Katie & David, H&H

4 comments:

  1. Love your blog Katie! Check out this blog post- hope it helps! http://littlegreennotebook.blogspot.com/2011/04/dear-jenny-what-to-do-with-ceiling-fans.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel EXACTLY the same about ceiling fans. Why can't they just make them simpler with a lower profile? I hate every one I see basically and recently bought one at a garage sale for $10 that I'm refinishing. Painting the bulk of it ORB but may need your advice on what color/stain to redo the fan blades in... I want to see your house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, what ceiling fan did you buy, Katie? It was probably hard to find something that you know would look good without compromising functionality. The ceiling fan is an important fixture in the house, as it helps circulate the air to help make cold days warm and warm days cold.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your writing style, great information, thank you for posting
    top best vacuum cleaner dubai

    ReplyDelete