Thursday, October 10, 2013

and so the planning begins ~

I'm already getting ancy about decorating our baby's room.  But if there is one thing I love more than anything, its planning.  So, here we go.

Some of you may have heard of Spoonflower.com



I found out about it 3 years ago when I was planning my wedding.  At that time, there weren't as many great fabric designers as there are now, so I didn't partake.  I actually did try to create my own fabric... but that didn't work out well with the "vision" in the end. 

But recently, I've seen a lot of Spoonflower pinterest pins, and decided to take a look for nursery stuff.  Even though we don't know what we are having yet... this is a perfect time to get 8" x 8" swatches for $5 a piece. Its kinda pricey... but it is custom made to whatever type of fabric you want, so I can imagine the leg work in that.

Here is my shopping cart of sample swatches that I just purchased. 


 
There are also some commercial fabrics that are super fun that I've seen at work.  These inparticular from Maharam are my favorite.
 
Alpine Stripe - Chamois

Alpine Stripe - Thistle

Quatrefoil - Silver

 
It seems as if I have more girl fabrics in there... so make your own conclusions on where my mind is heading on what gender I would prefer.
 
And then here are some pictures of furniture that I'm interested in. 
 
This crib is sold at my favorite baby clothing and furniture store, Picket Fences.  It comes from Franklin & Ben.  It reminds me of the Jenny Lind... which I like, but this seems a little more substantial.  Its called the Liberty. 
 
 
This one is from Pottery Barn Kids, and I really like the shape of it, but its still simple. 
 
 
 
But this one is divine as well.
 
 
 
And then, my friend at work, has a friend who re-finishes furniture, specifically dressers here in Austin.  And here is her facebook site... Indie Home  I'm hoping she might have something right up our alley.  For instance, these pieces are very nice.
 


 
 
But then, we could go a little more modern/contemporary and go with something like this.  Again, from Franklin & Ben.
 

 
And these are nice too.
 
 

 
I have a problem deciding upon the simple/contemporary/mid century modern look, and then the vintage/scroll/spindle look.  And I'm going to have to make up my mind soon, and piece it all together.  Maybe a good balance between the two could work.
 
And one more amazing furniture item that we might need to purchase...
 
 
 
 
Yay for baby time!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats to you and David!!!! 1 must have for new parents is a rock & play. Check them out http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Newborn-Sleeper-Gingham-Giraffe/dp/B00A4B35JS/ref=pd_sbs_ba_5 It took us 4 kids to find out about them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a great post, what you said is really helpful to me. I agree with you anymore. Also great blog here with all of the valuable information you have. Keep up the good work you are doing here. Thank you for sharing such a useful post.

    ReplyDelete