Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Here we go, again!

And so it begins again. We closed on our house June 11 and start demo this Saturday!


Currently we are in the selection/decision phase. This is hard for me. Why? You may ask. Isn't this what you do on a daily basis? Well yes. But on a daily basis I make design selections and decisions based on a clients needs, wants and an aesthetic that has a theme, function, etc (design talk, blah blah). This time it's all for US and since I know about a multitude of finishes and design options it is so difficult to just make up my mind. But we are getting somewhere.

Over the past couple of weeks while we wait for the loan to go through, David has created a budget and spreadsheets and has gotten pricing from subs etc. I have

I think I failed to mention that we are completely gutting the house. All walls are staying. But the master bath gets gutted and re-designed with a walk in shower. And then all new finishes, flooring, cabinets, lighting EVERYWHERE. It is a big undertaking. But this aint our first rodeo.

Here are some things we've been doing lately.

Our wedding was published in "The Knot Texas".


We celebrated our 1st wedding anniversary.   On a Monday.  But we had so much fun being all swanky at the W Hotel (of which I won a $500 "Staycation" gift certificate from Rockford Business Interiors because I "Liked" their Facebook page.  "Liking" pays off.)

I closed down the Etsy store.  This is one of the last windows I did.  For my dear friend Alison's wedding in Charleston, South Carolina ;)

I closed the Etsy store so I could focus on the house, and family and friends more.   If I didn't have a real job/career, I would love to continue making these fun windows and much more fun creative items.  They are strangely popular in Louisiana... and it was an awesome extra little income.

Our new house.  1 acre plot of land out in South Austin. 

And onto the fun stuff.  House stuff.
1.) With the advent of the iPhone... taking pictures of stuff you like and catloging it has become so easy.  So, I suggest taking pics of everything you like, save them and keep ahold of it for future refernce, even if you aren't planning on remodeling or re-finishing anything for years to come.  Its fun to just establish your style and figure out what type of design you like...  Here are some of mine for the "Twilight House".  (The new house.)

Bathroom tile inspiration/scheme.


Tile I saw in the women's bathroom of Maudies in Bee Caves.  Love geometric and obviously grey.

Middle "milk glass" bathroom vanity fixture.  Lowes... David and I have NO problem going to big box stores and shopping for fixtures/materials/finishes.  They have some great stuff!  And its not too expensive.  Although I am a huge fan of some pretty pricey finishes, there is a line I will not cross... and if it looks good, why not pay $39.99.

Grey.  If you know me, its my favorite color.  The new "brown" that goes with everything.  This was granite countertop selection day out at AG&M with my man Jesse Bogan.

Thanks for posing Bogie.  Cabinet door color... "Smoke".  Its fabulous.  This may or may not be the granite color we like.  I'm into the "concrete"/really monotone stone look. 

Backsplash?  Love the linear.

Grey backsplash?  duh.

Sample of travertine that I LOVE and will most likely be our bathroom countertops.  If I could do this everywhere, but apparently red wine is its worst enemy, but my best friend...

Our doors will look like this.  No more six panel.  If only the big box stores would catch onto this little gem of a detail...

West Elm love.  Pillows.  I am only now allowed to be the pillow covers.  I don't know what David will do if I bring home another pillow.

West Elm pillow texture.

Love this chalkboard art frame wall...  I will need to do something like this.


My new favorite store/thrift place.  Revival on 71 West.  Along with a lot of fun items inside the store that they have found and cleaned/refurbished, there are some awesome items out in the back under this huge tent.  Like, these great doors that I want to make into a barn/sliding door somewhere in the house.  This detail is beautiful!




More to come after this weekend's demo day! 

- katie & david, H&H

No comments:

Post a Comment