Sunday, September 2, 2012

mom's special gift

Some of you may know that my mom has been working on a special gift for me.  When we first bought the house, mom asked if she could design one area in our house for me on her own, as a surprise.  I had no hesitation asking her to please design the "Design Studio" (as we have now deemed it) in the back house.  And she was tickled and hoping that this room would be what I chose for her to help with.

I gave her a "program", which in the design world is a needs/wants list for a project, quantitative and qualitative.  The list included a twin bed for spill over guests and the occasional nap whilst designing beautiful spaces ;), lots of storage, a desk and a layout table.  I wanted it to be fun yet sophisticated, warm and inviting, etc.  She told me multiple times that she kept going back to the "program" to guide her in her process and selections and ultimate final product.  

The room was revealed to me on our move day after several days of "install" by mom and her two sisters.  Upon seeing it I of course cried, with tears of appreciation and love for my sweet mom who knows me so well and does so much for me and David and everyone around her.  I am so very lucky, there aren't really any words.

Still to come are a glass desk and a kitchen type work island, but I couldn't hold it in any longer.  I wanted to share with everyone how amazing of a design eye Reanie has.  She and I could do awesome things together one day ;)  I am so excited for her.

So without further adieu, here is Reanie Marchand's masterpiece.  







{Two items of note:}

~ Item 1
The necklace in the small white frame has my grandmother's (Reanie's mother) "Faith, Hope, Love" necklace with all of her PTA pins (turqoise and grey) strung from the chain.  Mom always used to tell me that when her and her sisters were little, at Christmas time, Grandma would label their presents with Faith Hope and Love.  And none of them knew which one was which until Christmas morning.  She was a stinker.  I miss her sweetness.  I am so happy to have this with us.

~ Item 2
My talented Aunt Connie expertly made all of the drapes, roman shades and the twin bed cover.  She truly is an artist with her hands, the sewing machine and fabric.  And my other sweet Aunt Joanie, helped all along the way with the install and keeping my mom sane throughout the whole process ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment