Wednesday, September 25, 2013

renovations at the rents


My parents just finished remodeling a large portion of their house.  The major part of the renovations took place in the addition that used to be my grandmother's apartment.  It used to be a self sufficient little house over there with a bedroom, living room, kitchen and bathroom.  Kyle lived there for a period of time and David and I lived there while we were re-modeling our current home.
 
All in all, it looks very different now.  I helped them space plan and arrange the suite so that they had optimal garden/pool views, as well as a circular flow through the bedroom and into and out of the bathroom/closets.  It is also very close to being a truly ADA (wheelchair accessible) plan.  My parents really wanted to be able to plan for the future.  So, after much pushing and pulling of walls and doors and mapping out specific furniture pieces my mom already new she would be buying, the plan was done and they started construction. 
 
We had an amazing contractor.  A family friend and mentor of David's, Jamie Grigar.  My parents loved him.  And my dad is typically a hard one to please :)  And my mom was always striving to be the perfect client :)
 
So without further adieu, here is the new space.  Unfortunately we do not have before pictures.  Also, please excuse my photography skills. 
 
 
{ Master Bedroom }
 
 
 


 
{ Master Bathroom }






 
Then they did some renovations to the upstairs, mainly just replacing carpet and re-texturing walls.
 
{ Side note:  When I was a teenager, my mom let me do ANYTHING I wanted, to my room.  So I thought it would be an excellent idea to try out plaster on my walls.  As an interior designer in training and a bull headed person in general, I just went to Home Depot and got the closest thing I could find to what I thought was the right product.  It ended up being a bunch of spackling basically.  Yes, laugh now.  And then a couple of years later, my mom tried to fix it by doing the real at home wall texture process, but that was a disaster too.  So that room needed a lot of help.  But now it looks great.  }
 
 
{ Old Master Bedroom }

 
{ Old Master Bathroom }
this was completely renovated, tile instead of carpet, new cabinets and countertops

 
{ Kyle's old bedroom }
looks so like him :)

 
{ My old bedroom }
Now mom's workroom and office

 
{ Hall bath}
This was completely renovated.  It only had a shower, and since mom and dad built a closet over the bathtub in their old master bathroom... they demolished the shower in here and added a tub, moved the toilet to a completely different spot, got rid of a sink (there were two) and I just love this little room.


 
 
In addition to these rooms, they also blew out an exterior stone wall, that was actually inside because they had previously enclosed a porch.  That wall being gone now lets so much light into their living room, and its just awesome. 
 
And of course we cannot forget all the landscaping changes that were made outside mom and dad's new master suite.  My dad has an intense green thumb.  When he finally retires he'll probably go work at a local nursery or The Wildflower Center.  So this was a huge part of the project.  I don't have any pictures now of it, but it basically enclosed a large portion of their side yard to be an oasis to wake up to every morning.
 
Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment