Monday, February 8, 2010

progress

This past weekend was a great weekend for the Burson Drive house! So many improvements were made and/or started. A lot of people came out and helped this weekend, and sweet Nancy brought us lunch each day ;)

Lots of helpers.



Thanks Nancy!



Lets remember back to when I talked about my trusty Behr paint fan, that I keep in my car at all times because who really knows when your going to have to match something. Well, last weekend we decided on 4 different paints to get samples of... Saturday morning I arrived at the house to try out all 4 paints on different walls of the main rooms. Super important because they look SO different in various lights around the room. Basically I put 3 up and realized I had no idea which one we should use. So I called Reanie (my mom) and had her come over and talk some sense into me. Because, even though you all think I have a good sense of design... I still need my mom to knock that sense back into me every once and awhile. So, after about an hour of deliberation on my part, and 15 minutes with mom, we decided on Belvedere Cream for the living/kitchen and Ivory Mist for the bedrooms.












After a longer than expected trip to Home Depot we returned with 10 gallons of paint (we used up about 8 in 2 days) and were ready to go. I did the trimming, mom did the rolling. All while the boys started in on the back doors!



This is door #1. David and Jim installed it on Saturday. It used to be a rickity old sliding glass aluminum frame door. Now its just pretty as can be.




This is door #2, the big bertha of them all. I wasn't around for the installation of this one because I was too busy with my arm outreached to nooks and crannies of the ceilings/walls... This opening was also an old rickity aluminum sliding glass door and now is a beautiful triple french door! The backyard/property looks awesome through these windows. The creek is so full right now and it is beautiful!





This was the 2nd large task of the day for the boys. The front entry used to be covered with terrazzo tiles. These had to be chipped away, thus leaving the gaping rectangular rough slap at the fron entry. So, the task at hand was to create a better threshold and level surface here so that eventually tile and/or wood flooring can be better installed.

So the doors were taken off (much to the dissapointment of me... it was just starting to get warm again in the house ;) and a the forms for a new edge had to be created... shown here.













Then the concrete came. I was very impressed how they were able to control it so well. If it were up to me this stuff would still be in my hair...









And here it is! pretty shiny new concrete slab! (They built a bridge over the concrete from the outside to the inside so they could put the doors back on without having to wait for the concrete to dry.) Pretty inventive guys.



So, all in all this weekend was VERY successfull. Two new french door openings in, filled in the hole in the concrete, and started painting. I can't show pictures of the paint yet... because its not done, and you would just see rooms trimmed in Belvedere Cream and wonder what I did the whole day... but my poor arm and the ability to not be able to pick up a drink can testify that I actually did do something in fact. Special thanks to Reanie K Marchand for her help both days in painting. We're a team!

p.s. There is no good way to format this blog in this tiny little area they give you... so forgive the RANDOM placement of paragraphs and spaces.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Katie! The house is looking so much better already. I can't wait to read about your excting renovation tales! :) Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete