Sunday, December 2, 2012

make a statement... wall.

This is one of my latest mini projects.  I'm happy to say they are all mini projects now.
No more total house makeovers.

A statement wall for our entry.  I toyed with different ideas, but knew I wanted a big letter and to use these antique mexican nail heads we got at Pieces of the Past.  (The same place we bought our antique door that now leads to our master bathroom.)



I use my computer and graphic software programs for pretty much EVERYTHING that I create.  From stationary, painted windows, statement walls, crafty things.


So, i started with this, AutoCAD.  (I used my graphic program, Adobe Illustrator, to get the W.  And then exported it to a .dwg autocad file.  You could also use a grid system and have your letter blown up super huge on large scale paper, etc.  This cost me no $ at all, and I'm a really impatient person, so anything that I can create/come up with at home and just DO is right up my alley.)

Then we started plotting out points on our wall.  Thanks to my bestie Morgan for helping me out!


To get the curves, I printed out those sections on 8.5x11 paper on our home printer and taped them on the wall in conjunction with the adjacent straight lines.

Another big item of discussion for any accent paint on a wall is how to get the best line with the taping off process.  I had heard of a technique where you paint the original paint color of the wall FIRST.  To basically seal the edge between the wall and the tape.  



Then, you paint your color.  And... IT WORKS BEAUTIFULLY!!!


Such crisp clean lines!

And, the finished product!



Happy Holidays!  
-katie, H&H

No comments:

Post a Comment