Tuesday, August 21, 2012

decisions and monumental progress

First of all, this post is already out of date as I write it.  More to come hopefully day by day.  We move in this weekend and I cannot wait.  And little Reba & Dolly cannot wait either!


Here is what has been going on.  Monumental things.  

First
[granite]


[laundry room]



[up close, Kashmir White]



[Bathrooms, Jerusalem Gold, basically a limestone.]



[Close up.]
{We've been told that this will stain.  I am aware.  But I don't care.  I am not a huge toiletries/makeup/gels person... but I am a big spiller of items such as wine and coffee.  David says its one of the things he loves about me most.  However, I've heard immediately soak it up with acetone.  I'm sure this will come in handy sooner than later.}



[Master bathroom]
{I've been too busy lately to get out the "good" camera, so please accept my
apologies for the hot spot of the light fixture}



[the backsplash saga]
{I am currently racking my brain and design resources to find something great.  So far, this is as "great" as I have gotten... and its $26/SF which is absolutely ridiculous.  I don't care who you are or how much money you have.  I am just frustrated with the selection of tile available to the general public.  Rant over.}

~But I really like the following idea.~


Christine Baumann Interiors, via HGTV, via Pinterest.

{So the idea in our kitchen is to do somewhat of the inverse.  Dark cabinets, light countertops, darker shimmer accent {expensive} mosic at the sink and oven with possibly a super cheap Daltile subway as the field}

And then Reanie found these great tiles in 1 of the 15839 design magazines she has currently in her arsenal. 



[Concave and convex hexagonal tiles from nemotile.com]


 [Dwell ceramic tile from HeathCeramics.com]

{Like I said.  Saga.}

[On to a more fun item.  Our kitchen faucet!]


{Good baby washing sink.  Just sayin'.  Not implying anything.}

Next.
We needed to figure out some focal points for the living room, so I had to make more decisions.  The fireplace has been looking like this lately. 


So I got out my trusty paint fan.  This time Sherwin Williams because the painters will inevitably go there no matter what and match any color you give them.  So I cut my losses on a screwy paint and went with Sherwin Williams.  I needed to coordinate with the only thing on this wall that would stay natural.  The rough leuders hearth and slab leuders top.  Grey.  You know it.



Dovetail, Fox Trot, Eider White, something like that.

I was worried about painting over the natural concrete stucco.  But it was looking very "unfinished".  Something that I HATE hearing at work, but I was saying in my head and couldn't get rid of it.  So we planned on a plaster chalk color for the stucco fireplace, and a medium tone grey for the wood paneling that sits on either side of it.



[nice texture]


[finished product]
{I'm in love.  Please note the stained beams as well.}

Onto the beams... this was another item I had to make a decision on.  All in all I went with a 50/50 mix of Minwax's Dark Walnut & Red Mahogany.



[50/50 stain mix on top.  Wood flooring sample on bottom.]



[Cowboy and our barn door.]
{Reanie and I went and picked this little treasure up at Pieces of the Past in Johnson City on Saturday.  I had 5 minutes before the store closed, and with tape measure in hand, I pulled the trigger and made a decision.  Now I have to research/decide on a frosting solution for the panes.  Easy.  Pinterest will save the day.}


{Thought I'd throw in a little pick of some random items about the house that interest/intrigue me.  First, the basketball goal.  David and I have played HORSE here once.  I lost.  Obviously.}



[There is a strange hole behind the shop, covered with this chain link gate door.  I think David told me once what it was, but maybe it's Alice in Wonderland's hole and there is an adventure waiting for me.  No, David will have to fill that in and remedy this situation before any kids or nieces step foot back here.]


[We have this little shed/barn that David wants to re-clad and paint and store the John Deer {yes, we have a John Deer riding lawn mower, are you jealous?} and the blower in.]

Back to remodeling.


[Existing fan blades that are a hideous color that I will be painting.  Future post.]



[As of Sunday we were able to pee in a legitimate plumbing fixture.  I admit that I have used the porta potty 2 times in the 2 months that we have been renovating the house.]

Okay, I admit, a little anti-climactic with the toilets at the end, but this means business!  

Appliances were installed today.  I haven't been there since Monday so this will be a special treat for me on Wednesday.  Window cleaners come tomorrow, Wednesday.  Final clean happens Thursday as well as carpet install.  Somewhere in there we need to install the Elfa closets {secretly so excited about getting to do this}, and then the move happens Saturday/Sunday.  Time Warner Cable is being installed Saturday, so you know its real.

Last week I asked David if I needed to schedule movers for this weekend.   He said, "No, I have Jim, Jesse, and Josh scheduled."  So the cowboy and his crew will be schleppin our stuff from the storage closet on Bee Caves to south Austin all day.  My job is to make sure they are fed and hydrated, the H20 kind and the adult kind.  So grateful for our friends!

Thanks for sharing in our journey!  More to come but so happy to be here!

No comments:

Post a Comment